Staff Scholarship Opportunities 2018
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
2018 CAMP STAFF SCHOLARSHIPS
The Camp Staff Scholarship program is designed to attract and retain top caliber staff members as well as to promote education and vocational training. It is our sincere desire that these awards go to the most qualified applicants so we suggest that you take the time to complete the application carefully and to craft your answers to “sell yourself” to the review committee. Thank you for your interest in these scholarships and we wish you continued success both as a member of the Yawgoog Staff and as a student.
GENERAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Currently employed on the Yawgoog staff.
- Enrollment in an accredited post secondary educational institution (two year or four year college; Vocational/technical school; or proprietary school).
- See descriptions below for further eligibility requirements
H. CUSHMAN ANTHONY SCHOLARSHIPS (FOUR @ $1,000) - Made possible through a fund established by an anonymous donor to honor the outstanding contribution that “Gus” made to Scouting in Rhode Island, specifically his leadership as Reservation Director at Yawgoog for many years. It will also recognize his commitment to community service organizations other than Scouting. This Scholarship is limited to those staff members who have successfully completed at least four years on camp staff – including this season. CIT service of at least two weeks will count as one year. Scout Executive to appoint a selection committee.
YAWGOOG ALUMNI ASSOCIATION SCHOLARSHIPS (Four @ $1,500) - Awarded by the Yawgoog Alumni Association to recognize staff members who have demonstrated long term commitment, dedication, and outstanding job performance to Yawgoog Scout Reservation. This Scholarship is limited to those staff members who have successfully completed at least four years on camp staff – including this season. CIT service of at least two weeks will count as one year.
Donors have specified that the final selection for the following scholarships is to be made by the Reservation Director. The Reservation Director will work with the scholarship committee to make his final determination.
DR. MELVIN D. HOFFMAN SCHOLARSHIP ($500) – Set up by family and friends in memory of the Yawgoog camp doctor who accidentally drowned in 1984. This Scholarship recognizes a staff member who “possesses those characteristics of academic and community leadership ability that Dr. Hoffman instilled in others”. It is preferable that the recipient be a High School graduate attending the first year of college.
GENERAL LEONARD HOLLAND SCHOLARSHIP ($200) - Established by the late Adjutant General, a long time board member and friend of Scouting, to recognize deserving camp staff members who exemplify the Scout Oath and Law.
DR. NORMAN J. COWEN SCHOLARSHIP ($200) – Established in 1998, by Dr Norman J. Cowan. Dr. Cowan established this fund from which the interest was to provide for an annual prize award to a “second year Yawgoog Staff person who showed the most improvement in their position.
EAGLE SCHOLARSHIP (THREE @ $100) – Established in 2001, this scholarship is dedicated to the Spirit of the Eagle. The recipient must demonstrate those qualities and traits most thought of an Eagle Scout. One recipient will be chosen from each camp. (It is preferable that the recipients be attending their first or second year of college.)
O’BRIEN-ARMSTRONG SCHOLARSHIP ($500) – Honors the outstanding contribution made by a staff member to the Yawgoog Scout Reservation. This Scholarship is limited to those staff members who have successfully completed at least four years on camp staff – including this season and CIT service of at least two weeks. One of those years spent on staff must be in either Food Service, Reservation Services, or have worked as an assistant Ranger either before or during camp.
Gregory F. Zavota Humanitarian Scholarship ($500)- Awarded in memory of 1LT Gregory F. Zavota, USA; Eagle Scout Troop 6 Barrington. The recipient is to be an individual who puts others’ needs before his or her own as Greg did. Preference will be given to applicants whose future plans include military service.
The Glenn Kippax Scholarship (500) The daughters of Glenn Kippax have begun what they want to be a yearly tradition of a $500 scholarship in honor of their father, a dedicated Alumni Member. This scholarship is to go to a dedicated Yawgoog Staffman.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE
- All applicants must complete an application. There will be no interviews. Scholarships will be awarded based on information contained in the application and recommendations and comments from Camp and Reservation supervisors.
- All completed applications must be submitted to the Reservation Director by August 5, 2018
- You are encouraged to include letters of recommendation from two sources – one “inside” Scouting and one “outside” Scouting.
- The scholarship review committee will include the Council President, Council Commissioner and Yawgoog Alumni Association Chair (or their representative) with the Scout Executive and Reservation Director serving as advisors. The committee will evaluate the applications based on the criteria for specific scholarships, as determined by the wishes of the donor.
- Scholarship winners will be announced at the Week #8 dress parade.
- All scholarship awards $1000 or higher will be issued as “two party” checks made payable to both the staff member and the educational institution.
- Applications must be typed or printed legibly.
EMAIL THE COMPLETED APPLICATION TO: CampYawgoog@Scouting.org In the subject line put "Scholarship" and your Full Name