About Camp Medicine Bow
The popularity of the Reservation grew to the point where a second camp was required. Rathom Lodge, the Reservation's third dining hall, was dedicated July 4th 1929 and surrounding camp named Medicine Bow. The Yawgoog Daily News regarded the dedication "of supreme importance to every boy who would die with the cry of 'Yawgoog' on his lips." Medicine Bow encompasses the center section of the Reservation. Medicine Bow's color is red, usually in a fire engine color and mascots include Elmo the Elk and a buffalo skull named Fred the Buffalo Head. While Elmo talks, Fred merely speaks in gibberish. Originally two wooden roosters were placed at the entrance to Medicine Bow they have since been moved into the Rathom Lodge. Nicknames include "The Heart of Yawgoog" and "the cream between the two Oreo cookies." It houses the following program centers: The Counselor in Training Corps, Baden Powell Provisional Camp, Crafts Center also known as the H. Cushman Anthony Stockade, the Medicine Bow Waterfront also known as the Albert Gunther Waterfront, Ashaway Aquatics Center, and the Armington Memorial Health Lodge. Medicine Bow also houses staff for Reservation Services who bring food to the camps and manage some of the Reservations business affairs. Ashaway is home to the Reservation's active motorboat, the Charlie Brown, which patrols Yawgoog Pond for capsized boats.